The Betty Lientz Room of Local History is open and free for public use. The local history room is located on the main floor of the Clinton Public Library.
The Local History collection primarily focuses on Vermillion County, Indiana; however, genealogical research can be conducted in surrounding counties including: Parke and Vigo counties in the state of Indiana. This collection is non-circulation.
The Clinton Public Library will provide limited research, look-ups, answer genealogy-related questions and provide suggestions. Please allow up to six (6) weeks for your inquiry to be answered. Requests can be submitted to the genealogy department by mail, e-mail, through the library website, or telephone.
- Mail requests to: Clinton Public Library, 313 South 4th Street, Clinton IN 47842
- E-mail requests to: CPL@clintonpl.lib.in.us (recommended)
- Library websites requests: Click HERE (recommended)
- Telephone requests to: (765) 832-8349
Types of Materials:
- City Directories from: Years: 1912 -1914 -1922 -1930 -1939 -1943 -1948 -1953 -1958 -1962 -1966 -1973 -1975 -1977 (1912 City Directory is on Microfilm)
- Cemetery Records : Clinton Township; Vermillion County (misc cemeteries); Shepard Cemetery ; Fayette Township; Vigo County; Indiana 1800-1981 Veterans Graves-Helts Prairie Cemetery; Illinois-Sugar Grove
- Funeral Records: Brown Funeral Home; Karanovich-Giovanini Funeral Home; Frist Funeral Home
- Microfilm: The Daily Clintonian Newspaper (1901-Present)
- Printed Material: History of Vermillion County, IN (c1913); Biographical & Historical Record, Vermillion County (c1888); People’s Guide: Directory of Vermillion County IN (c1874); Eugene Township, Vermillion County, IN: The First 100 Years, 1824-1924 (c1969); and much more!
- Index to Records: W.P.A. Index to Vermillion County Death Records 1882-1920; W.P.A. Index to Vermillion County Birth Records 1882-1920; W.P.A. Index to Vermillion County Marriage Records 1824-1920; Vermillion County, IN Index of Persons & Firms; Index to Indiana Naturalization Records prior to 1907; Index to Federal Census, IN (Years 1820 -1830 -1840 -1850 -1860 -1870 -1880); Census of Indiana Territory 1807
- Local High School Yearbooks